Monday, August 15, 2011

Little Words





Reilly has just started walking!! It is so exciting. We shriek every time. And just in the past few days, she has been acting like she'd rather walk than crawl, which I didn't think would happen till age three. Crawling just seems to be so effective for her. And she is perfectly timid and comfortable with what she knows works. She's just like her mama.

But something she has been doing for months and months now, is talking. Talking up a storm. And she will say anything that she ask her to say, or at least try to. She will, and does, speak to everyone she meets. And expect them to be her new best friend. And not fully understand if they don't talk back to her with an equal amount of enthusiasm. She's just like her Daddy.

I want to remember how she spoke on the earliest days, so here is my list of things she says, and how she says them. In alphabetical order.

a.
apple (referring to any red fruit/veggie - first word besides dada and mama!)
applesauce (apple-dada)
all done (ah-dah!)
Amen (ah-meen, claps hands together)
aww

b.
boo
banana (appa-dadada)
bathtub (bah-tah)
baby
button (butt-ah, referring to belly buttons)
buh-bye

c.
(none yet)

d.
doggie
daddy

e.
egg (eggie)
Elmo (eh-mo)
ew (used freakishly accurately)
ee (referring to uncle e)

f.
(none yet)

g.
(none yet)

h.
hi (hieeeeee)
hey
hot
hiney (this one was an accident)
help (hep)

i.
ice (she's obsessed)
i love you (i wah yah)

j.
juice (doo)

k.
kitty

m.
mimi
mama
more (moe) [this is a new one! replaces whining while eating -woo!]
meow (woww)
milk

n.
no
nice
night-night (nah-niee) [she says this when she wants to nap, and when she wants to go to bed. kind of freaks me out]

o.
oh!
ow

p.
pretty (pitee) [uses when referring to her hair, hair brushes, hair accessories, jewelry, anything shiny, and me when I put makeup on]
pee-pee
poo-poo
papa
princess (pa-dada)
[please is said 67 times a day, but still in sign language!]

r.
rei-rei (wei-wei)

s.

t.
thank you (ta-toe)

u.
uh-oh

w.
woah!
woof woof!
water (wah-tah)

y.
yay!
yes

She cracks me up when she uses these words, but mostly HOW she uses them. For example, when anything comes out of the microwave or oven, she announces "HOT! HOT!" and points. But then we were near an outdoor grill with an open flame, and she points to it and says, "HOT!" It blows my mind how she makes these connections, even when it's something she hasn't seen or been told before. And most recently, when she sees "big food" on commercials (picture baby-back rib closeups on a Chili's commercial), she'll look at me, point at the screen, and say, "HOT! HOT!" . I praise her and tell her yes, in real life, that food would be hot.

Speaking of which, big close ups of food on commercials should be illegal. It makes me ill and I hate it. Has anyone every really thought, "Wow, that giant close up picture of buttery lobster tail looks delicious right now." Maybe it's just me. I don't get the appeal.

Another thing - her use of "ew", which I posted about recently, is getting hilariously out of control. She says "ew" to everything. Still appropriately, but seemingly all the time. We are at someones house, and she picks a crumb up off their floor and proclaims loudly, "EWWW" and then hands it to me. Truely gross? Sure. Embarrassing? Absolutely. People must think my house is immaculate due to how she scrutinizes everyone's home. But still, I encourage the behavior. Because do you know what she did with that crumb or piece of lint or rock before she learned to say "ew" and hand it to me? She ate it. She picked it up, and ate it. So yes, I brainwashed her into thinking everything is gross, in an effort to discourage her from ingesting garbage.

Needless to say, it worked. I guess I win?

Either way, the fact that she can now communicate her thoughts blows my mind every day. And cracks me up, and amazes me. Because yesterday, she was my tiny little newborn.

1 comment: