Just a warning...these thoughts are going to be random and jumping around, because that is how my brain has been the past week. :) I am in the baby cloud, and my mind has been jumping from "When did he last eat?" to "Did the girls have lunch yet?" to "What am I defrosting for dinner?" to "I forgot I need a Christmas gift for that person!" But in all the craziness of the past week, all the adjusting to becoming a family of 5, I have been floating. I am filled with that feeling of utter happiness and contentment for the majority of every day - even throughout the nighttime feedings. These three kids, and my amazing love-of-my-life husband, have filled every corner of my heart to the fullest.
1. Reilly is smitten. Completely obsessed. When she comes in our room in the morning and sees him in my lap breastfeeding, she gasps and scurries over to kiss him. Every morning when she sees him it's like Christmas morning, she can't wait to hug him. She asks to hold him all the time, and tells people "You need to wash your hands before you can hold my baby!"
2. When we came home from the hospital (Brett, Declan, and I), Reagan and Reilly were home with my mom waiting for us. Reilly stood at the top of the stairs and said, "Welcome to your new home, Baby Declan!!" I immediately thought, "Oh, how sweet that my mom told her to say that.", only to find out that she said it completely unprompted. It was the sweetest thing.
3. It is imposisble for the girls to be around the baby without smiling and laughing and freaking out. I'm so thankful that there is only love towards him, and no resentment or jealousy. So far it is going to smoothly with the little kiddies. Reilly had a little tummy issue for a few days, but now that she is feeling better the whole house is so peaceful. Well, it's peaceful to me. There are toddlers squealing and running and baby noises all day long, but to me, they are peaceful sounds.
4. I love this time. I call it the Baby Cocoon. We stay home with Baby for 6-8 weeks without taking them anywhere, especially now during flu season. We stay home and cuddle and play and forget what day it is or what time it is (maybe that's only me, in my sleep deprivation?). But it is surrounded by this happiness that new baby brings. Hubby calls it "Vacation Mode", and has always said that when we have babies, he feels like he is on vacation even when he has to go to work, because coming home feels like that "vacation" feeling. I know exactly what he means. This time is made even more amazing by the fact that it's Christmas...the lights, the music, the movies, the cookies...it's a cozy house over here.
5. This little Reagan Angel. She is obsessed with who she has nicknamed "Baby Decky". She wants to hug him and squeeze him every time she sees him, and has no concept of how fragile he is. She squeals "BAYYY BEEEEE!!" every single time she sees him. Without fail. She also comes over to him and says "Hi Baby Decky! Hugggyyy!" and then hugs him. And the she does our family handshake with him. She says "High Five! Knuckles! Heyyy!" (On the "hey" we link fingers.) I love that she totally started doing this with him herself. Reagan has started speaking so much more lately, and conversing so differently - like a real big sister. :) Her favorite things to do is to say, "Hi mama! Hi Dada! Hi Sissy!" and keep going around and around as we say hi back to her. She does this all day long. It's pretty hilarious.
6. Reilly reading to Reagan in her bed. Her bed is their new little hangout. She is seriously impressing and amazing me with her big sister skills to both her siblings this past week. I tell her every day how proud we are.
7. Declan has the frown that is just so funny. He remind us so much of newborn Reilly. This is him after his first bath, "What's going on here, Mama?"
8. I am so thankful for this little boy. He is the most peaceful baby. I can't even handle how content he is. He is a lot like his sisters were - but an even sounder sleeper. He sleeps so silently and still, and literally only cries when he is hungry or wet. He is such a little blessing.
He gave me a 4 hour stretch of sleep last night!! WHAT. I was so thrilled. He is a little champion breast feeder. He eats, literally burps himself sometimes before I even finish feeding him, and poops constantly. He is the funniest little boy.
9. My three angels. This was right when we got home from the hospital.
10. This was 6 minutes later, we found Reagan pushing the Diaper Genie down the hallway, making that hilariously determined face. I think she wanted some attention? ;)
11. He is such a little snuggler! He stays in his swaddle ALL NIGHT. He even will breastfeed in the middle of the night all snuggled up in his swaddle.
12. Daddy and I are so in love with you Declan. I can't stop saying how precious and adorable you are. We are so excited to see what having a little boy is like! So far, you are amazing and the sweetest little thing. (The ultrasound tech was very wrong calling you my "wild child"! You were active in the womb, but the calmest little bean now.)