Sunday, August 29, 2010

Autumn?

It rained here for days last week, and since then something has shifted. The air has changed. It is not necessarily colder in temperature, although I think the mornings are cooler, but the air is just different. It's crisper. It's not as steamy and humid.

It's almost like...autumn.

I can't believe it's coming. Summer flew by in the blink of my baby's growing eyelashes. And now the season is changing. The strangest part, though, is that I'm kind of excited!

I always enjoy the fall, but I never really look forward to it per say. It always means back to school, back to work, back to schedules, and no more summer sunshine freedom. I always loved school, but never quite wanted summer to end. Until this year. I'm not really dreading it...and I attribute that to my sweet peanut.

I can't wait to show her leaves. And go for walks while they swirl around us. And sit on our hammock in sweaters and jeans. And watch Daddy carve pumpkins. And make her a pureed Thanksgiving dinner. And go apple picking and pumpkin picking and on hayrides. And watch her see her changing world, and learn exponentially as it happens.

To see the trees she knows as green change to brilliant shades. To see the home she knows so well become covered in pumpkins and leaves and harvest decorations. To feel the only air she knows go from hot and sticky to cool and bright.

Hubby and I always have so much fun in the fall. But never as much fun as this year. I'm embracing the season changing this year, rather than wishing it away for a time.

We get to watch the world from new little shining blue eyes. And I can't wait to see what it looks like.

Love & Leaves,

Dirt Road Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment