Thursday, November 18, 2010

Autumn Decor

There is a place in our home where I like to hang a "garland" or
sorts each season. I guess it started with making my own version of those paper towel ghosts we used to make as kids. You know the ones? Where you crumple a piece of newspaper, drape a paper towel over it, tie it off with a rubber band, and draw a face with marker?

I made similar ones, except using fabric and ribbon. More homey, less kindergarten.

Then Halloween ended, and I felt sad to take down my new decoration! And thus began the garland saga. It's a saga, because Hubby sometimes pretends that he doesn't like it. Because he has to "duck" to walk underneath it. But he has recently come around to appreciate the tradition. I think he came around when baby was born, and my mama hung teeny socks and shoes from it. That made him smile.

So here's what I made for autumn this year, after the ghosts come down.


I took some card stock, and painted each one 4 different fall-y colors. The I let them dry, and painted the other sides as well.

Then I drew different leaf shapes, and cut them out!





I love the colors! So autumn, but neutral.

Making my own decorations thrills me. Less pennies spent, yet still such a festive home!


Love & Painting,

Dirt Road Mama

1 comment:

  1. I love these!! And I stole your idea!! We have leaves hanging up in between the dining room and kitchen. Then I put up snow flakes after Thanksgiving and Easter Eggs around Easter!
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete