Monday, April 19, 2010

Exploring

The other night, Hubby and I were driving in the rain. We had met from home and work, so we had separate cars, but were following each other. It was nighttime, and the rain was really coming down. Now, our roads are dark and desolate and winding, so I was comforted by the fact that he was driving in front of me, knowing he was keeping an eye in his rear view. Suddenly, he began to slow down and pull over to the side of the road. Of course I thought, "Is he okay? What's going on? Is something wrong with the truck?" Keep in mind, we are in the middle of the dark woods.

So I pulled up next to him, threw on my flashers, rolled down my window, and yelled over the rain:

Me: "Is everything okay honey?!"
Hubs: "Yep! I think I saw a frog..." [ looks behind him on the road]
Me: "What?"
Hubs: "A frog! In the middle of the road. It was a big one. I'm gunna go get it! You wait here!" [throws the truck in reverse]
Me: "....What?"

As I saw Hubby, with a cold, in the pouring rain, in the middle of the road, chasing around a frog, I laughed. And I thought how much I love his love of spontaneous exploration. And how much I love participating in the exploring, and him telling me random nature things and catching me wildlife. And how much our kids will love having him as a Daddy. Daddy the Catcher of Frogs.


Me: "Hey Bubba, what's that?"
Hubs: "That's a rock."


We have a love for creeks. Cricks. Streams. Brooks. If there's a little bridge, even better.



Me: "Look at the fishies!"
Hubs: "Those are tadpoles, honey."


This is summer. Walks, hammocks, fern, bare feet. I can't wait. He's my favorite person to walk through the creeks with.


This was 5 days before he proposed to me. Which was now almost 4 years ago. I love that he still finds frogs for me in the road.


This summer, we'll have a little stroller with us as we explore. How much fun to have our new little buddy with us who has yet to discover everything. Everything about this beautiful country. This summer, though, it'll just be about tiny toes in the creek, feeling the breeze, watching Daddy lift up rocks looking for wildlife, and watching Mama snapping pictures. And maybe some teeny frogs.

2 comments:

  1. Very sweet...I love the photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chills, I have gigantic chills after reading this because I can picture Brett, the baby, and you walking down the dirt road, (ok someones carrying baby) snapping pictures and enjoying every momeny together...ps I love the last picture of yall!...miss you bunches!

    ReplyDelete