Thursday, June 17, 2010

Fro, Yo - Part 2

Mima considers every post without a picture of her grandbaby a complete failure. So there's our little angel baby for ya!

To read about my pregnant meal freezing adventures, read Part 1.

More delish and simple meals to freeze! I defrosted my first one yesterday, and let me tell you, it was a dream. Part 2 of the recipes!

1. Kielbasa & Applesauce
Don't be dismayed by the name of this recipe. Every person who has tried this has been in love. It simple, and deliciously amazing. No one who you serve this to will believe the simplicity of the ingredients.

2 rings kielbasa
1 24 oz. jar applesauce (you can use chunky, but I don't like to)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbs. onion powder (you can use 1.4 cup real onion, but the onion texture adds nothing to this dish in my opinion - too crispy)

Slice kielbasa into 1 inch slices. Put into oven safe dish, add remaining ingredients, and combine. Place uncovered in a 325 oven for 2 hours. Stir after 1 hour.

Please try it. I know you're still tentative. I promise it doesn't taste like hot dogs that sat in applesauce for a while. It's seriously amazing, would I steer you wrong?


2. Pulled Pork
Just make a nice big batch of this deliciousness, and then defrost for sandwiches!
Recipe courtesy of E. Bates :) Sissy is a lucky girl with all the delish meals he cooks for her!

1 - 3 pound piece of center cut pork loin
1 bottle hickory brown sugar BBQ sauce
1 can beef broth

That's really all the ingredients - it's that easy.
You can use a slow-cooker, but I'm not a fan for some reason that I can't explain. I'll get into using mine one day. But for now I still use my oven.

Set oven to 250. Cut meat into 3 equal portion. Place meat into an oven-proof dish, so it fits snugly. Pour can of beef broth over into dish. Broth should just about cover meat. If it doesn't, your dish is probably too big. Cover tightly with foil. Place into oven for about 5-6 hours - the longer the better! Do not open the foil - just forget you're even cookin' and let it be.

After the 6 hours, remove meat from dish. I like to put it on a wooden cutting board with a lip, to catch juices. Shred meat using 2 forks. If it doesn't shred with forks, it's not done. At this point you can remove fatty pieces - it's very easy once it's all cooked.

Dispose of all but a few tablespoons of the broth. Place shredded meat back into dish. Pour entire bottle of BBQ sauce over meat, and stir. I like to put the few tablespoons of broth back into BBQ sauce bottle, give it a shake, and get all the BBQ sauce outta there!


3. Chicken Stir-Fry

These recipes are not re-inventing any wheels, as you may have realized. But that's what pregnancy is all about - laziness. HA. Just kidding. Obviously. I just wanted to keep things simple. And yummy. I'll stop typing in fragments now. It's addicting.

Everyone has their own yummy version of stir-fry, with their own favorite sauce. So if you have one, use that one! If not, this is the easiest one you'll come across. No chopping! I know, you're welcome.

What you'll need:
Boneless, skinless chicken, cut into small pieces (or steak, or shrimp)
1 bag of frozen stir-fry veggie mix
1 jar Polamer apricot preserves (or any other sweet flavor you like)
soy sauce (to taste)
spice brown mustard (to taste)

Cook chicken in your favorite seasonings on med-high heat. I like to keep it simple with EVOO, salt, pepp, and a little garlic. Add frozen veggies to pan once it's all cooked. Be sure to cook uncovered on medium-low heat, so the water cooks off. If it's covered, the result will be a watery soggy stir fry. Yuck.

Combine jar of jam, soy sauce, and mustard. I'm sorry I don't have amounts, but it really depends on your taste. If you like a sweeter sauce, you wouldn't use as much soy. If you like it salty, add lots-o-soy. I think you get it. Keep tasting and adding. The mustard adds a nice contrast, don't be afraid of it. I also like to add a little ginger.

Add sauce, simmer uncovered until desired consistency of sauce is accomplished. Affirmative. Over and out.


Those are my frozen meals in all their glory. New addition to my freezer - a shelf full of frozen breast milk. It's such a beautiful sight.
Another key ingredient (ha) to post-baby cooking: Husband Sous Chef. Mine happens to be a world-renowned sous chef. And by world, I mean my kitchen. And by renowned, I mean we sometimes watch The Next Food Network Star.

But really, he's amazing. Yesterday I defrosted a nice big pot of sauce, he made ricotta filling for Eggplant Rollatini, and I egged & fried the eggplant. Then I stuffed and baked and done! 3 step meal, I only did one of them. [Well technically I did 2, but one was months ago so that doesn't count.] Yummy meal + half the work (1/3 of the work?) + wine = HEAVEN.

Love & Happy Defrosting,

Dirt Road Mama

1 comment:

  1. The Jack Daniels BBQ sauce is a personal favorite of mine for pulled beef, and the slow cooker is a wonderful invention I think you'll love it if you ever break it out ;]

    P.S. I agree all posts need pics of Reilly she's just too cute :]

    ReplyDelete